Student loans, fees and benefits

If you're at university, you may have questions about your student loan, or how your illness might affect your student fees and benefits.

Student loans and tuition fees

Your university's disability services team or money advice team can advise you and provide helpful information about student loans and tuition fees.

Contact your student finance company to tell them about your situation. The Student Loans Company has details of all of the UK's loan providers. This will help minimise the amount you're charged for tuition fees during any times you can't continue with your course.

You can be absent from your course due to an illness for up to 60 days, without it affecting your entitlement to financial support. Student finance can be extended for longer than 60 days if you're facing financial difficulties. In certain circumstances, you could be eligible for an extra year’s funding.

Speak to your disability services team to clarify whether your university regards you as 'suspending your studies' or 'withdrawing from education completely'.

"My university was brilliant. Where student loans were concerned they made sure that I secured funding for my return after one year and made sure I didn't incur any unforeseen charges or interest."


Student life doesn't come cheap, especially if you're living away from home. It’s worth looking through our breakdown of benefits to see whether you can get some help to take the pressure off. 

You can also contact the Disability Rights UK student helpline on 0330 995 0414 or check out their student FAQs to find out more.

Rental agreements

If you're renting a place to live while at university but can no longer attend your course, whether you have to keep paying rent might be a worry.

Try to speak to your landlord to see whether they'll cancel your contract because of your situation. If you have a CLIC Sargent Young People's Social Worker or Community Worker they can help you get support.

Where next?

Updated January 2018, next review due 2019.