Health related benefits

This important group of benefits are for people with a health condition or disability, and their carers. It's important to be aware that a cancer diagnosis means you are classed as ‘disabled’ and because of this, you may be entitled to receive certain benefits.

Carer's Allowance

If a parent or guardian is caring for you at least 35 hours a week while you are on treatment, or as a result of a disability, they may be able to receive Carer's Allowance. 

They don't need to live with you in order to receive this benefit but you do need to be receiving either PIP or DLA (see below). 

Visit for the full list of criteria. 

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

DLA is for under-16s who need extra looking after or have difficulty walking. It helps towards the extra costs that a serious illness like cancer may bring. 

There are two components – care and mobility. You may qualify for one or both. If you are over 16, you’ll need to apply for PIP instead (see below).

Look at our DLA factsheet. 

Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

ESA helps people over the age of 16 whose health condition or disability affects their ability to work. 

There are two components of ESA, one of which depends on your income. You may get one or both depending on your circumstances. ESA is normally received after Statutory Sick Pay has been paid, which can be for up to 28 weeks. 

Look at our ESA factsheet.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP was introduced to replace DLA for people aged 16 to 64. It is there to help young people who have a health condition or disability, whether in or out of work, live as independently as possible and deal with extra costs that often come with having a health condition. 

If you are 16 or over and already receive DLA, you are unlikely to be affected until the end of 2017. You’ll receive a letter with a date by which to apply for PIP instead.

Look at our PIP factsheet.

Statutory Sick Pay (SSP)

If you’re struggling to work due to illness, you may be entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) from your employer. 

This is paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks as long as you meet certain criteria. If your employer has its own company sick pay scheme that is equal to, or more than SSP, you may receive your payments in a different way. 

Universal Credit (UC)

Universal Credit is a monthly payment for people who are looking for work or on a low income. It will gradually replace some of the existing income-related benefits for people aged 16 to 64. 

Extra funds are available for people with a disability or health condition, childcare costs or caring responsibilities. This means that parents supporting their child can apply, as well as young people aged 18 or over. 

Look at our Universal Credit factsheet.

Where next?

Updated July 2017, next review due 2018.