Grants and payments

If you are finding it difficult to budget for emergency or one-off expenses because you have no money coming in or you are on a low income, you may be entitled to help from the Government in the form of a grant or loan.

Grants and payments

CLIC Sargent grants

A CLIC Sargent Standard Grant is a one-off grant that is offered to children and young people with cancer, and their families, as soon as they come into contact with us. This can help you meet the sudden extra costs that a cancer diagnosis can bring. The grant is available at any time within the first 12 months of diagnosis and can be used to cover food, travel or other day-to-day costs.

CLIC Sargent also provides other grants that you may be entitled to. You can find out more information about these by speaking to a CLIC Sargent Social Worker or using the Turn2us Grants Search Tool.

"Our CLIC Sargent social worker provided us with a grant which helped with the costs of things like parking and the extra food and clothes."

Get payments to help with one-off expenses

  • Budgeting loans: an interest-free loan to help with unexpected lump sums which are difficult to budget for. They can help with essential items such as clothing, rent, travel expenses or other debts.
  • Cold weather payments: payments will be made during periods of cold weather to help people on low incomes with fuel costs. It does not matter what you spend the money on and it does not need to be repaid. They are different to Winter Fuel Payments.
  • Funeral payments: these payments do not have to be repaid and are designed to help people on low incomes with the essential costs of a funeral.  
  • Maternity grants: this is a fixed amount of £500 to help people buy clothes and other essential items for a newborn baby. You can only get the grant if there are no other children in your household under 16 and you receive a qualifying benefit.

To access these payments and loans, you or your partner will generally need to be receiving a qualifying benefit.

Find more information about each of these and how to apply.

Get a grant for more support in your home

If you need to make changes to where you live because of your child's condition, for example widening doors or installing ramps to improve accessibility, you may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local council to help with the costs.

Young people under the age of 18 who have cancer can get a grant without their parents' income being taken into account. 

Find out more and apply.

Get an advance on your benefit payments

You could get an advance on your first benefit payment to cope in the weeks before you start getting regular payments. This is called a short-term benefit advance and will be taken out of any following payments you get.

This benefit will be available to people in urgent financial need and already receiving income-related benefits, including Universal Credit.

The amount you get depends on your circumstances but will usually be paid into your bank the same day, or next working day. You will pay it back from your future payments.

Find out more and how to apply. 

If you’ve already been receiving Universal Credit, ESA, Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance for six months or more, you could get a loan to help pay for emergency costs. 

Budgeting Advances mean you can borrow a minimum of £100 and you’ll pay it back through your regular payments. This means these will be lower until the loan is paid off, usually over a period of 12 months (although it can be 18 in exceptional circumstances). 

Contact your work coach at your local Jobcentre Plus to apply. 

Where next?

Updated July 2017, next review due 2018.