Grants and payments

If you’re a student or you’re on a low income you could get help from the Government for one-off expenses or unexpected payments.

Grants and payments

CLIC Sargent Grants: a one-off payment from us

A CLIC Sargent Standard Grant is a one-off payment that is offered to all young people aged 16 to 24 who have been diagnosed with cancer. 

It’s there to help you meet the sudden extra costs that a cancer diagnosis can bring. 

The grant is available at any time within the first 12 months of diagnosis and can be used to cover food, travel or other day-to-day costs. 

Apply now using the Grant application form.

Get payments to help with one-off expenses

If you are on a low income, the Social Fund could help you with one-off payments to help ease exceptional financial pressure. If you meet the requirements, the Social Fund can provide:

  • Budgeting loans: an interest-free loan to help with unexpected lump sums which are difficult to budget for. They can help with essential items such as clothing, rent, travel expenses or other debts.
  • Cold weather payments: payments will be made during periods of cold weather to help people on low incomes with fuel costs. It does not matter what you spend the money on and it does not need to be repaid. They are different to Winter Fuel Payments.
  • Funeral payments: these payments do not have to be repaid and are designed to help people on low incomes with the essential costs of a funeral. It will depend on the relationship with the person who has died and whether they are on a qualifying benefit. 
  • Maternity grants: this is a fixed amount of £500 to help people buy clothes and other essential items for a newborn baby. You can only get the grant if there are no other children in your household under 16 and you receive a qualifying benefit.

To access these payments and loans, you or your partner will generally need to be receiving a qualifying benefit.

Find more information about each of these and how to apply.

Get a grant for more support in your home

If you need to make changes to where you live because of your condition, for example widening doors or installing ramps to improve accessibility, you may be able to get a Disabled Facilities Grant from your local council to help with the costs.

Young people under the age of 18 who have cancer can get a grant without their parents' income being taken into account. 

Find out more and apply.

Get an advance on your benefit payments

If you’re in urgent need, you could get an advance on your first benefit payment to cope in the weeks before you start getting regular payments. This is called a short-term benefit advance and is for those who have recently applied for Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), or Carer’s Allowance.

The amount you get depends on your circumstances but will usually be paid into your bank the same day, or next working day. You will pay it back from your future payments.

Find out more and how to apply. 

If you’ve already been receiving Universal Credit, ESA, Income Support or Jobseeker’s Allowance for six months or more, you could get a loan to help pay for emergency costs. 

Budgeting Advances mean you can borrow a minimum of £100 and you’ll pay it back through your regular payments. This means these will be lower until the loan is paid off, usually over a period of 12 months (although it can be 18 in exceptional circumstances). 

Contact your work coach at your local Jobcentre Plus to apply. 

Where next?

Updated July 2017, next review due 2018.