Financial worries

If you're in higher education, you may have questions about your student loan, or how your illness might affect your student fees and benefits.

Student loans and tuition fees

Your university's disability services team or money advice team can advise you and provide helpful information about student loans and tuition fees.

Contact your student finance company to tell them about your situation. The Student Loans Company has details of all of the UK's loan providers. This will help minimise the amount you're charged for tuition fees during any times you can't continue with your course.

It’s worth contacting your student finance company, as there are certain circumstances in which you could be eligible for an extra year’s funding.

It's also important to speak to your disability services team to clarify whether your university regards you as 'suspending your studies' or 'withdrawing from education completely'.

My university was brilliant. Where student loans were concerned they made sure that I secured funding for my return after one year and made sure I didn't incur any unforeseen charges or interest.


Student life doesn't come cheap, especially if you're living away from home. It’s worth looking through our breakdown of benefits to see whether you can get some help to take the pressure off. 

You can also contact the Disability Rights UK student helpline on 0800 328 5050 or email them on to find out more.

Rental agreements

If you're renting a place to live while at university but can no longer attend your course, you may be worried that you'll have to keep paying rent.

Try to speak to your landlord to see whether they'll cancel your contract because of your situation. If you have a CLIC Sargent Young People's Social Worker or Community Worker they can help you get support.

Go to the housing page for information about organisations that can help with these issues.

Updated January 2017, next review due December 2017.