Players of People’s Postcode Lottery give £1.9m boost to young cancer patients and their families.
Young lives struck by cancer will be given extra, vital support thanks to a £1.9m donation from players of People’s Postcode Lottery to support charity CLIC Sargent.
The incredible total, raised through three draws in October, will help to fund the crucial services provided by the charity, which aims to be there from the devastating moment when a family hears a doctor say ‘it’s cancer’.
The money raised will help fund CLIC Sargent’s specialist teams of nurses, social care workers and play specialists, who create packages of support for families at the moment when they need it most.
Two draws were held on October 8th and on the 15th. A minimum of 30% of every £10 subscription from the draws will be donated to the charity. And with another draw to be held in November, the overall fundraising total is set to rise.
The money will go toward supporting families of young cancer patients like Felix, aged seven, from Devon, who was supported by CLIC Sargent after being diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL) when he was just three years old.
His mother Jayne said: “I don’t think we would've made it through without CLIC Sargent. They have not only cared for Felix, they have looked after us all and feel like a very beloved part of our family. They have helped and encouraged us to keep life as normal as possible."
Rachel Kirby-Rider, Director of Income and Engagement at CLIC Sargent, said: “The vital funds raised by the People’s Postcode Lottery will make a huge difference by providing support to young cancer patients and their families when the doctor says ‘it’s cancer’.
“This fantastic partnership will help CLIC Sargent provide specialist teams of nurses, social care workers and play specialists, who create a package of immediate support when it’s needed most.”
Head of Charities at People's Postcode Lottery, Clara Govier, said: "We are delighted to be supporting a charity which is making such a difference to the lives of young cancer patients and their families. It is great to think that the support of our players will help to provide such important services."
Find out more about about the support provided by players of People’s Postcode Lottery.
For more information, an interview or images please contact Nick Edmondson on 020 8752 2856 or email email@example.com. Outside office hours please call 08448 481189.
People’s Postcode Lottery and CLIC Sargent
CLIC Sargent operates its own society lottery, licensed and regulated by the Gambling Commission. The lottery is promoted and managed by the People’s Postcode Lottery.
About cancer in children and young people
Every day, 10 children and young people in the UK hear the shocking news they have cancer. Treatment normally starts immediately, is often given many miles from home and can last for up to three years. Although survival rates are over 80%, cancer remains the single largest cause of death from disease in children and young people in the UK.
About CLIC Sargent
CLIC Sargent is the UK’s leading cancer charity for children and young people, and their families. We provide clinical, practical and emotional support to help them cope with cancer and get the most out of life. For more information visit www.clicsargent.org.uk
Note to sub editors
Please note that the name ‘CLIC Sargent’ should not be abbreviated to CLIC, and that the word ‘CLIC’ should always appear in capitals, as above.
About People’s Postcode Lottery
- People’s Postcode Lottery is a charity lottery. Players play with their postcodes to win cash prizes, while raising money for charities and good causes across Great Britain and globally
- A minimum of 30% goes directly to charities and players have raised £148.3 Million for good causes across the country
- £10 for 10 draws paid monthly in advance with prizes every day. For further prize information visit: www.postcodelottery.co.uk/prizes
- Maximum amount a single ticket can win is 10% of the draw revenue to a maximum of £400,000
- Players can sign up by Direct Debit, credit card or PayPal online at www.postcodelottery.co.uk, or by calling 0808 10-9-8-7-6-5
- Postcode Lottery Limited is regulated by the Gambling Commission under certificate nr 000-000829-N-102511-011 and 000-000829-R-102513-010. Registered office: Titchfield House, 69/85 Tabernacle Street, London, EC2A 4RR
- People's Postcode Lottery manages multiple society lotteries promoted by different charities. For details on which society lottery is running each week, visit www.postcodelottery.co.uk/society