Readathon is the UK’s biggest sponsored reading event run in schools across the UK.
Since 1984, Readathon events up and down the country have raised £25 million for seriously ill children, with tens of thousands of books being read each year.
What is Readathon?
A Readathon can be held at any time throughout the year and children can read whatever they like, including comics, poetry, non-fiction, electronic books or just listen to stories.
The money raised helps seriously ill children and participating schools get free books worth 20% of the total they raise. So if a school raises £500 they’ll get £100 worth of free book vouchers!
Reading for pure enjoyment can transform children’s lives. It’s proven to be more important than wealth or social background in improving a child’s future socially, emotionally, academically and vocationally.
Where does the money go?
The money raised by schools running a Readathon helps seriously ill children by supporting four UK charities:
- ReadWell - Readathon’s sister charity providing books and storytellers to children in hospitals
- Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity - Helping seriously ill and disabled children
- Together for Short Lives - Raising funds for children’s hospice services
- CLIC Sargent - The UK’s leading cancer charity for children and young people
Last year Readathon events across the country raised a massive £145,000 for CLIC Sargent.
It’s simple, it’s fun and it works!
Readathon packs contain everything needed to run a Readathon, including an inspiring DVD, sponsorship cards, posters, bookmarks and ideas to help teachers make their Readathon more fun.
Each child sets their own reading challenge (perhaps with help from teachers, librarians or family) to read a certain number of pages or books in a set period of time. The children ask family and friends to sponsor them and then start reading!
Why everyone loves Readathon
- Pupils are motivated to read by raising money for seriously ill children
- Parents love to see their children enjoy reading and raising money for good causes
- Schools and teachers love Readathon as it's easy to organise - the resource pack is crammed full of resources to kick off a Readathon event in any school. And at the end of it schools are rewarded with book vouchers worth 20% of their school sponsorship total
- Above all, it's fun for everyone involved
Calling all schools
To get your school involved in the UK's biggest sponsored reading event, visit the official Readathon website and sign up for your free Readathon pack.
Alternatively you can call 0845 606 1151 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the Readathon pack must be ordered by school staff or club leaders.