Improving lives through sponsored reading.
What is Readathon?
Readathon is the UK’s biggest sponsored reading event run in schools across the UK.
Since 1984, schools running Readathon events up and down the country have raised £25million for seriously ill children, with hundreds of thousands of books being read each year.
A Readathon can be held at any time throughout the year and children can read whatever they like, from comics to classics.
The money raised helps seriously ill children and participating schools get free books worth 20% of their sponsorship total! So if a school raises £500 they’ll get £100 worth of free book vouchers – it’s a real win-win.
Reading for pure enjoyment can transform children’s whole lives. It’s proven to be more important than wealth or social background in improving a child’s future socially, emotionally, academically and vocationally.
Where does the money go?
The money raised by schools running a Readathon helps seriously ill children by supporting amazing causes:
- Readathon uses some of the money to give books and storyteller visits to children in hospitals across the UK
- CLIC Sargent – Readathon has been supporting CLIC Sargent for 30 years, raising many millions of pounds to help children and young people with cancer
- Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity – with Roald Dahl as Readathon’s first honorary chair back in 1989, it’s only natural that it supports his charity helping children brave the unknown
- Together for Short Lives – helping children’s hospice services across the UK
Over the last 10 years alone, Readathon has raised over £4.5 million for CLIC Sargent.
It’s simple, it’s fun and it works!
Readathon kits contain everything a school needs to run a Readathon, including an inspiring DVD, sponsorship cards, posters and bookmarks.
Pupils choose what they want to read in the time set by school, reading or listening to whatever they fancy – novels, comics, poetry, e-readers – anything goes!
They then ask family and friends to sponsor them, keeping them motivated and helping seriously ill children in the UK. The more they raise the more free book vouchers their school will receive.
Why everyone loves Readathon
- Pupils are motivated to read by raising money for seriously ill children
- Parents love to see their children enjoy reading and raising money for good causes
- Schools and teachers love Readathon as it's easy to organise, their pupils are learning about citizenship and the school’s book stocks are boosted with free books!
- Above all it's fun for everyone involved
Calling all schools
To get your school involved in the UK's biggest sponsored reading event, visit the official Readathon website and sign up for your free Readathon kit or just call 0845 606 1151 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the Readathon pack must be ordered by school staff or club leaders.