Proton beam therapy support

Information Standard

If your child has a certain type of cancer, your consultant may recommend they travel abroad to receive high-energy proton beam therapy.

Proton beam therapy isn't currently available in the UK so people usually have to travel to proton therapy centres in Switzerland or the USA to have it. Most children who need proton beam therapy are treated in the USA. 

Support available

This section explains the range of practical help and support that is available if you have to travel abroad with your child for proton beam therapy treatment.

For more information about what proton beam therapy involves, please visit the NHS Specialised Services website.

July 2013, next planned review 2014.