Throughout CLIC Sargent's education campaign which launched in 2012, we have undertaken three research projects to build a better picture of the impact of cancer at primary school, secondary school and post-16 education and employment.
By undertaking research with the children and young people we support and their families, we can better understand the impact of cancer on their lives and this makes us more equipped to influence politicians and policy makers.
How we did it
This research was undertaken through consultation with children and young people with cancer, and their families. Our team also worked closely with CLIC Sargent Health and Social Care Professionals and other key stakeholders, such as hospital school leads.
The research carried out aimed to:
- Better understand the barriers that children and young people face in education
- Identify what support young people feel they need concerning employment and training
- Raise awareness of the challenges children and young people with cancer experience in keeping up with their education
- Highlight existing good practice and ways forward.
What we found
Our research identified a need for better information on the impact of cancer and what support is available and more effective communication between professionals.
Some children and families told us that a lack of understanding of cancer can lead to children falling behind and can lead to being bullied and left out of school activities.
Young people told us that they need more tailored support in their last years at school and to transition into post-16 education and employment.
Our research reports
You can find more information about our research through our research reports, which can be found here:
- No child with cancer left out -The impact of cancer on children of primary school age
- No teenager with cancer left out - The impact of cancer on young people’s education at secondary school age
- No young person with cancer left out -The impact of cancer on young people's education, employment and training.
Find out more
For more information about CLIC Sargent's campaign work, please contact our team by emailing: email@example.com.