Education and training

If you’re a student, you may be wondering about being able to stay in school, college or university once diagnosed with cancer. 

Speak with your consultant or nurse specialist before you make a decision on this. They will be able to give an idea of the likely impact of treatment on your education.

You may wish to talk through your options with your CLIC Sargent Young People's Social Worker or Community Worker, if you have one. You can also get advice from your school’s Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO), or your college or university’s learning support adviser or disability adviser. They can tell you about your options and rights. 

These include certain adjustments that should be made by your school, college or university to help you remain in education or make your return as easy as possible.

How we can help

CLIC Sargent can help you get support and information to manage education issues. Speak to your CLIC Sargent Young People's Social Worker or Community Worker if you have one, or contact us on 0300 330 0803 or email

After a while my friends moved on because I wasn't at school. I didn't expect them to wait for me but I didn't think they would move on that quickly.

Hospital education

Most children’s cancer hospitals have education departments that can support young people in compulsory education while they’re in hospital. That means hospital education may be available to you if you are of school age. A hospital teacher, or one of the people caring for you, may contact your place of education and make a plan for your future education.

Home tuition

If you're in compulsory education but not well enough to go to school, you may be entitled to home tuition. Depending on where you live, you may be offered online learning.

You or your parent, carer or CLIC Sargent Young People's Social Worker or Community Worker can contact your local authority for more information about this.

Content last reviewed: November 2015
Next planned review: 2016