During the summer of 2014, we set ourselves a challenge at CLIC Sargent: to consider what the next 10 years might bring for children and young people with cancer, and to set a clear direction for our policy and influencing work.
Children and young people’s cancer services: Ambitions for the next 10 years has been created to help inform our influencing work with policy makers and partners in the health and charity sectors to improve the cancer journey for children and young people.
It has also informed the development of Aiming High: our ambitions for children and young people with cancer.
The report is based on input from individuals with expertise in and experience of influencing the children and young people’s health system at local, national and regional level.
It describes their views, perspectives and understanding of the current opportunities and challenges for the sector.
It distils their hopes for the future of children and young people’s cancer services into 10 clear ambitions for the next 10 years.
Ambitions for the next 10 years
We have brought together the views expressed by our expert contributors to identify the following 10 ambitions for what the cancer journey for children and young people might look like in 10 years time:
- Improved routes to diagnosis
- A health system which supports resilience in children and young people with cancer
- Effective national and network commissioning
- Increased specialisation of treatment and care
- Service and treatment innovations
- More access to care closer to home
- Better support after treatment
- Greater recognition of the value of a young person-specific approach
- Increased access to data
- Clear accountability for service delivery and improving outcomes
CLIC Sargent shares these ambitions for improving the support provided throughout children and young people’s cancer journey.
We urge government and NHS decision makers in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales to ensure that there is a defined children and young people's strand within their cancer plans with clear monitoring and accountability measures in order to help us to make these ambitions a reality.